Friday, January 06, 2006

What Happened to the Classifieds?

I know this post is going to make me sound old. Really old. But, I must comment on this pressing issue without worry of forthcoming labels. What happened to the classified section?

I first noticed on Monday that the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel started advertising that you may place ads with a light yellow color background. This color is similar to that of the yellow pages in the phone book. The idea is to get your ad to pop out and draw the attention of the reader's eye. Sounds good to me. But, as you may already know, what looks good on paper isn't always necessarily "good on paper."

I opened the Classified section of the paper today and immediately closed it. I opened again and was blinded by all the yellow. Once my eyes adjusted, I found myself looking at ads for used pianos, pure bred springer spaniels and an available audio tour manager position. Not that I have anything against any of these things, I am not interested in them. Even if I finally locate the ad I am looking for, I am to distracted to read it.

I, for one, would like to see the ads immediately changed back. It won't happen. No one ever listens to me. If you read this blog, you will now be prepared for the inevitable. You will find yourself also looking at ads for springer spaniels if you are not careful, but not without forewarning.

I guess maybe I am just bitching too much. But hey, that's what I have been told one of the perks of getting older is.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Keep complaining. The world has way too many freakin' passivity wankers.

too many "don't rock the boat" types.

too many "get along and go along with the flow" scumbags.

Having spent many years in advertising, this is funny. The paper, in a feeble attempt to boost income, charges extra for the yellow, but when all ads are yellow, they can start charging to not run your ad in yellow, so it'll stand out.

Ha ha ha.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger steveegg said...

No one said they're geniuses at 4th and State :-)

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And coming at yah from 4th and State, a quick note to let you know that you're in this week's blog of the week running. (I dug around for an e-mail address last week but couldn't find one, so am leaving a comment instead.) Questions? I'm at webmaster@mkeonline.com Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home