Monday, December 04, 2006

What? Peter D, Let It Go

Just admit that you were wrong. Come on, you can do it. I believe in you. Peter DeLorenzo at AutoExtremist can't seem to admit that VW made a good move going to Crispin Porter + Bogusky(Mini Cooper's former agency) just a little over a year ago for their marketing and advertising. At his website's On The Table Section he bashes VW's decision again and rips their new compact SUV, the Tiguan(pictured below in orange). In fact, he muses that Honda's Step Bus Concept(see toaster/appliance on wheels, pictured below) is a better looking car.




Ummm, Peter? Lay off of the crack.

All this over their advertising and marketing agency? Are you going to tell me that VW's German mad scientist/engineer/Un-Pimp Ze Auto campaign wasn't clever? You didn't chuckle when he pressed the button and sent that pink Mitsubishi flying in the air? OH SNAP! Why don't you ask another marketing expert his opinion? Marketing Sensei, are you there?

Are you going to tell me that their Holy Shit/Crash ad campaign wasn't effective? Attention, negative and positive, is still attention. And it brings about brand awareness, doesn't it Peter?

Well, well. I lost a little AutoExtremist faith today. I still have the utmost respect and will continue to read every Wednesday but with some skepticism in the future.

6 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger P.I. Mom said...

1. The Honda "thing" is the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time.
2. The VW SUV is hot - even in orange.
3. The flying Mitsubishi was hilarious the first, second and twentieth time I saw it.
4. The "holy shit" commercials scare the hell out of me...I almost peed my pants when I saw the first one - which means it's great marketing because it's incredibly memorable.

And finally...I'm right - I'm always right - which means your critical buddy is either hanging off the crack pipe or jelous. You decide.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Marketing Sensei said...

In short, Peter D. is an auto-enthusiast, not a marketing guru. VW has received high honors for their recent two campaigns.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Actually, Sensei, Peter is a retired marketing guy for the auto industry. He is right sometimes. And yes PI, that's why I love you.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Dad29 said...

It's not a toaster. Toasters are not that ugly.

It's actually a scale copy of the old British double-decker London bus. IIRC they were in use as late as the mid-1970's, but are essentially a pre-WWII design.

With a little more crunching and a decent paint job, they could be "woody" Ford wagons, circa 1940.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Neo-Con Tastic said...

Retired, schmired. I'm on the Sensei's side.

And I think they've really 'Pimped that SUV.' I'll take two, please.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Gee, I wonder why that is Neo?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home