Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Question of Legality

Is it legal to publish an email address obtained from a comment post on your website?

I am not asking this because I have the intention of doing so, someone has done it to me. When I entered my email information in the proper box, the note clearly says that the email address is required, but will not be published. The administrator of the site in question has taken it upon himself to publish my email address. He did not, however, publish my comments, both of them.

Just curious.

2 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really odd. I guess the question is whether or not he has it in writing that your e-mail address will be kept confidential. If, in fact, he does - then he is violating his own confidentiality statement - real or implied - and he should take your e-mail address off his site. Go through the process again and save a copy of the page you get to that says your e-mail address isn't going to be published. Then e-mail it to him and tell him to get his crap together or you're going to report him to....someone.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger M.Z. said...

I would speculate no, because you would have difficulty establishing any damage occurred by the publication of your email address. Regrettably (or fortunately), not all rude and obnoxious behavior is illegal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home