Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Glory of Work?

Hola amigos... It's been a long time since I rapped at ya and I'm sorry for that. Came home from the bar and decided to hit up the blog.

I've been thinking about this since my used car manager (who knows EVERYTHING btw, God bless him) had made a point. We had been discussing my generation and the upcoming one. It seems as if to him that these generations want everything, NOW. No waiting in the buffet line of life. They want to jump right to the front. Live for now and spend money on whatever. After arguing with him on why I didn't think that I necessarily fit into this description, I got to thinking about it. I do. I definetly do. Well, I did. I came to some realizations lately and decided that I am going to work for it. Not that I haven't been working since I was eleven years old (for money that is, not all the "slave driving" house chores I did for my parents since I was five), but that I was looking for that quick "in." I can admit that I wanted to find the quick route to everything. The keyword in that last sentence is "wanted."

Why did I come to this realization?

I observed. I observed everyone in a five year radius of my age. It's funny. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I am noticing it now because I am looking for it. Maybe it's because I am at that age. But, I don't think that it was ever like this in Milwaukee. I know it's like this in other places, but I never thought that it was like this in Milwaukee. A predominatly blue collar town that I always thought had the big city layout, but the small town people and feel. Looking around lately, I find that nobody my age wants to work for it. They want all the glory now. They live outside their means. Cars, clothing, lifestyles. Everything that drives everyone here now has to be for the money. You don't have it or make it, don't talk to me. That's seems to be the attitude that I am getting from people. Mostly women. It actually saddens me that my city has turned this corner and went in this direction. I guess that is just progress maybe.

Not my choice though, not my route. I've got my own plan for my family and friends, and if you don't like it, "you can take a flying f*%k and a rolling donut"(Ironically qouting my used car manager).

Next time you are out and about, look around, observe. Think about this. My prediction is that we are going to have a generation of people working 'til they die. Spending all this money now trying to get to the next level won't get you retired at fifty five.

Work for it, get in line, and wait your turn.

6 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger .- said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Spam attack. I will delete all irrelevant posts.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Neo-Con Tastic said...

Materialism is the vice of America.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Dad29 said...

That materialism problem you noted has been repeatedly condemned by John Paul II, despite the whitewash job given his statements by such folks as Novak.

While regulated capitalism (which we have) is perhaps the better economic choice, the consumerism/materialism which grew from it through advertising (!) is NOT the better choice.

My aunt, the SSND, lived with a very simple rule: if you can't pack it into a standard travelers' trunk (like a military footlocker), then you don't NEED it.

That may be a little sparse for some of us, but you get the general idea.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Neo-Con Tastic said...

Like your gun case?

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

No, G, I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now. Dunbass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home