Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Death Spiral and the Consequences


As I write this, GM CEO Rick Wagoneer is on the Rush Limbaugh show making his pitch to the audience. I imagine it is something like this...

"Buy our product please. We are dying over here, and you, the American public, are letting us go to the wayside. Help, or we will all ride the death spiral to hell."

Cute. But true? Unfortunately yes. We are in a problem state. We have a burning issue that needs to be addressed. What are we going to do to save this company? Surely I don't suggest that we all start sending in cash donations. Surely I don't expect you to go out and buy one of their cars immediately (although you may want to consider what they have to offer when the time comes... What?!? Me, making a sales pitch for the competitor?!? You bet).

No, I suggest we make this an issue now. I suggest we get in the ears of our legislators. I suggest we have the government address this issue before it becomes an "economic suicide."

In the 2006 election run, I want to see this a big part of the platform. BIG. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. Legislators need to start weighing the possibilities of a tariff to save GM and the US manufacturing community.

I, for one, am afraid to see the results if this doesn't happen.

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a great idea-focus on how to close on value, not price. Any body who supports the Value Pricing concept should be working at a Saturn dealership. Sorry to hear that you work w/mgrs who take 45 min to hand you a "mini deal worksheet" (complete w/no commitment to buy I'm sure).

I read your other pathetic comments about our industry. Spend your time honing your skills not wasting the owners ups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home