Sunday, October 02, 2005

Another Societal Issue.....

A couple of weeks back, I blogged about the prostitot. Well, the issue came up in conversation. Feel free to let me know how you feel about this issue, especially those women readers, I'd like your opiniona.

The premise of the discussion was that I felt that women and young ladies that dress in a questionable nature bring negative attention upon themselves from all types of people, mostly men. Men whom may just try and smooth talk them, men who oogle, and men who may have disturbing intentions. The latter whom may be rapists, stalkers, etc. DO NOT misunderstand me on this point. The afforementioned latter and their intentions and actions are not condoned by me in any way. The disgusting predaory nature of these men should put them behind bars, period. But, it is not until they get caught that they will end up where they belong. Thus they have the ability to carry out with their cruel intentions.

I personally belive the media has had a huge impact on young ladies and their tendencies now. Let's all admit it, SEX does sell. It especially sells clothing, makeup, and most importantly a lifestyle. Unfortunately many of these young ladies fall victim to advertising and follow suit. The media sure does play a card in this hand, but it is not what I am getting at.

The point that I want to make is that if a woman or a young lady dresses in a questionable nature, she invites the negative attention that comes with. In most cases, she is fully aware of this impact her actions have. So does she carry fault for what may happen to her? In some degree, I say yes. Fire at me if you will, but think about it. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head here.

Feel free to comment, I stand by my thoughts.

6 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you saying that scantily-clad women endorse rape? Are saying that it is the fault of the women when a man rapes or takes advantage of her?

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Partially, anon. Not all her fault. If you actually read the whole post, you would see that.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger P.I. Mom said...

DCS - You opened yourself up for a lot of damage control on this one because femanists love to "read between the lines" on this type of thing and accuse you of meaning something other than what you said. So, I'll lend you a hand here - at the risk of putting myself in the same position...

Nobody deserves to be raped, HOWEVER, modesty is a virtue and women who go out half-dressed have no right to complain if they are oogled, fondled or anything else. Excuse the utter crudeness of what I am about to say, but - don't bare your boobs if you don't want people to look at them and/or be aroused by them.

I am a female, obviously, and I can tell you that the people I know who dress "scantily" absolutely DO want people to look at their bodies - otherwise they would cover them up.

I don't think we can blame someone for being raped, but I think it's fair to say that people who run around half-dressed may be potentially helping rapists narrow-down the candidates. I will also say that according to my male friends, women who constantly bare their midriff and cleavage (this is according to MEN, now!) give off the impression that they are "up for anything".

I am in no way a prude, nor am I an old fart or without a figure that is worth admiration - but there are parts of a women's body that for hundreds of years have been covered up for a reason. It seems nothing is private anymore.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Once again, PI, you are on the money. Thankyou for posting your comment in defense of my post. Anon doesn't seem to get it, nor do a lot of other people that I have had this conversation with. Nothing is private anymore, and it's too bad.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger P.I. Mom said...

You're quite welcome - and if you don't mind...there's something else I'd like to add...

The place where the rubber hits the road on this issue boils down to "class". Classy women do not have to bare anything to get the attention of a man.

Fashion trends come and go but class never goes out of style.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DCS - This mindset only helps to purport the, "She was saying no, but she meant yes," mentality that is so common among rapists.

Perhaps if some guys weren't so easy and didn't give their attention so quickly to the scantilly clad girls, those girls would figure out that dressing that way doesn't do them any good. As it currently stands, ONLY when dressed that way do men give women any attention at all.

So, pick one. Take the classy girl and leave the scantilly clad ones to sit in the corner, or take the scantilly clad ones, but don't condemn them for giving you what you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home